Thursday, August 23, 2012

What Are You Reading?

Confession time: I haven't been able to really get into any books lately.

I've picked up a lot of things that sounded really promising and drool-worthy, but then..............they fizzle. Or I fizzle. One of us is to blame, and it's probably me.

Some of this lack of interest may be due to my workload--it can be hard to get into other books when I'm spending hours and hours slaving away at the very last edits for my own stuff, because whenever I have down time I am craving things that don't have to do with words. And some of this lack of reading interest is probably due to some health issues I was dealing with over the last month that are (thankfully) getting a lot better. But regardless of the reasons, my TBR pile has languished this past month or so. It's been so bad lately that I haven't actually finished anything except the occasional romance novel (SO not my usual modus operandi, you guys, but when I'm depressed or anxious nothing else appeals to me but the lightest, fluffiest stuff).

But I really, really, really hate not losing myself in a good book on a regular basis. Reading is like food for me. Without a regular diet of books, I feel like I'm starving. And all this writing with no reading feels like endless cooking without being able to sit down to a dinner myself.
 
So help me out here. What have you read lately that you loved? What grabbed your attention and wouldn't let you stop reading? I'm more in the mood for YA than anything else, maybe something really funny or really spooky (I really want to find something along the lines of Hex Hall or The Name of the Star), but I'll take any suggestions!

11 comments:

  1. Trapeze by Simon Mawer and The Family Corleone by Ed Falco. Not to mention I really enjoy the Stephanie Plum novels. They aren't YA but her voice has got a bit of YA flare to it. Very intriguing.

    I know how you feel. I'm so busy with family/life/writing/edits that I find myself trying to squeeze in a few minutes here and there to read as much as I can. Hopefully things will balance out again soon.

    Many blessings and happy reading :)

    Nicole

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the recs! I'll have to check them out.

      Delete
    2. Boring school books. Who knew teachers had to actually read the books they assign to students?

      Haha.

      Delete
  2. The Curiosities by Tessa Gratton, Maggie Stiefvater, and Brenna Yovanoff. Most of the stories in the collection are about 2k long, so you don't feel like you have to read the whole book at once. They also include sketches and snippets in the margins. It's a great book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's fun, I guess they did a antho together? (They have been writing friends/crit partners for forever.)

      Delete
  3. I have about 300 books in a stack considered To Be Read. I wish I had time to read ANYTHING right now, but between swim, dance, and gymnastics, and birthday parties, and everything else, I'm too exhausted to read, much less write. :o(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to find the time when you're busy! Sometimes life just gets in the way.

      Delete
  4. Spooky? HYPERION. Not YA at all, but very spooky and very engrossing. I've been hooked on those lately. (The second book finishes out the story.) I don't really think it's your thing though, unless you like sci-fi, which I can't remember if you do.

    Something that I think you might like, which I found very engrossing, is The Name of the Wind. It's not YA, but it's just like those other non-YA books they lump into YA simply because they're old classics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also I'm so sorry about your health issues. :(

      Delete
    2. Both of those sound great. And I really like sci fi!

      Delete
    3. Also, thanks for the kind words. It was rough there for a few weeks, but I'm doing a lot better. You know how it is. I hope you're doing well, too.

      Delete

Have something to say? Leave a comment!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...