Thursday, March 17, 2011

Write the Caption

I love my family and friends dearly, but there is a reason why I don't usually advertise the fact that I'm a writer trying to become published (at least in non-internet places). At certain times when the going is very tough, when you've gotten another rejection letter, when you're completely stumped over a plot snarl in the middle section of your book--innocent, well-meaning comments feel like a slap to the face.

What's one of the most frustrating things you get told as a writer/hopeful querier/trying-to-become-published person?

Leave your caption to the picture in the comments!


9 comments:

  1. My caption?

    "There's so many horrible books published every day. I'm sure you'll get published."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, you still haven't gotten published yet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. "If you can write a book, I know I can."

    ReplyDelete
  4. "It's a shame you're writing now, because your style was really popular in the '90s."

    ReplyDelete
  5. "When will I get to read your stories?" or "When will I get to see your stories in print?"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha, I don’t tell ‘em either.

    So, I'm make one up – one I don’t want to hear.

    “Wait, what was it about again?”

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are great, guys.

    I also hear this one from family ...

    "That Harry Potter book, what was so special about it? You can write something that popular, right?"

    ReplyDelete
  8. The best was from my brother-in-law, who said, "I whipped up a screenplay last week, and sold it to such-and-such in Hollywood for $13,000. No big deal." Uh... I don't think so. I've written professionally for a living for 15 years, and it ain't that easy. If it were, why am I not seeing his story on the big screen ;-)?

    ReplyDelete
  9. "What did you do today?"

    Well, I broke a few hearts, put my character in a cast and wrote 2000 words... but, no, I didn't do dishes or clean up around the house.

    Sigh.

    ReplyDelete

Have something to say? Leave a comment!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...